- 40g/11/2oz amaretti biscuits, crushed fairly small
- 110g/4oz plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 50g/2oz butter, at room temperature
- 60g/21/2oz caster sugar
- 700g/1lb 8oz even sized Bramley apples, about 175g/6oz each
- 1/2 rounded tsp ground cinnamon
- 25g/1oz butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. To make the base, sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar and biscuit crumbs. Press this mixture firmly into a 9 inch/23cm loose-bottomed, lightly greased flan tin.
2. For the topping, peel, quarter and core the apples. Then take an apple quaarter and slice it finely, holding the slices together as you cut. Repeat with the rest of the apples. Then take an apple section and, pushing down on it gently, fan the slices out slightly. Arrange these on top of the crumble crumble base in cocentric circles, ends pointing into the centre. Make sure that there are no gaps and that the apple slices are close together so that you can fit all the fruit on.
3. Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Brush the tart generously with the melted butter, then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar all over the top.
4. Bake in the oven on a high shelf for 35-40 minutes, until the apples are tender and tinged brown at the edges. Allow the tart to cool in the tin then serve at room temperature.