- 1 large red onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 10cm/4in piece of peeled ginger
- 5cm/2in peeled galangal (optional)
- 1 red pepper
- 4 dried hot chillies
- 10ml/2tsp ground coriander
- 10ml/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 5ml/1tsp ground cloves
- 5ml/1tsp ground turmeric
- Dash of vegetable oil
- 1.1 kg/21/2lb stewing or braising steak
- 1.1 litres/2 pints coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 2.5ml/1/2tsp salt
1. Process the onion, garlic, ginger, galangal, pepper, chillies, spices and a splash of water until smooth.
2. Heat the oil in a large, wide casserole and cook the spice paste for 5 minutes. Add the meat and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the coconut milk, lemon grass and salt.
3. Bring to the boil, stir, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours or until the meatâ€™s tender and the sauce thickened.