- For eight portions
- 4 tbsp tasteless oil- I used rapeseed
- 6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 thumbsized piece of fresh ginger peeled and sliced into fine matchsticks
- 2 red onions halved and sliced
- 1 red chilli deseeded and sliced fine
- 1.5kg lamb neck fillets in bite size pieces or ox cheek beef.
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 teasp chinese five spice powder
- 2 teasp sugar
- 3 tbsp chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- 3 tbsp dark soy
- 500ml beef stock
Heat half the oil in a large casserole dish. Fry the onions garlic ginger and chilli for a minute or two until softened.Tip onto a plate.
Toss the lamb in the flour and fry in batches until browned using the rest of the oil.Put aside on a plate.
Add five spice and ginger mix to pan and stir then add sugar, lamb and wine ,scraping up any meaty bits.
Pour in soy and stock, bring to a simmer. cover tightly and place in fan oven at 130 for three hours stirring halfway.
Serve with boiled rice and steamed greens. Tenderstem broccoli is real nice with this dish