- 350g/12oz aubergine
- 50g/2oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 10ml/2 level tsp dried marjoram
- 6 skinless chicken supremes, about 700g/11/2lb total weight
- 1 egg
- 225g/8oz onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 15ml/1 level tbsp tomato paste
- pinch sugar
- salt and pepper
- 175g/6oz mozzarella cheese
- crisp green salad to serve
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
1. Thinly slice the aubergine. Brush each side with a little oil and grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden on each side. Place on kitchen paper to absorb any excess oil.
2. Meanwhile, mix the grated parmesan cheese with 1 level tsp of marjoram. Dip the chicken in beaten egg and then in the cheese mixture. Place on a flat baking sheet. Cover and chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
3. Roughly chop the onion. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a nonstick saute pan and gently cook the onion and crushed garlic until softened and golden. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, remaining marjoram, a pinch of sugar and seasoning. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. Pour into a 2 litre/31/2 pint shallow ovenproof dish.
4. Place the chicken, aubergine slices and mozzarella cheese in overlapping rows over the sauce.
5. Bake at 190C/375F/Gas 5 for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is golden brown. Serve immediately with a crisp green salad.