- 675g/11/2lb boneless leg or shoulder of lamb, cut into 4cm/11/2 cubes
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5-6 fresh oregano sprigs
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 900ml/11/2 pints boiling water
- 225g/8oz puntaletti(small nib shaped pasta)
- Fresh oregano sprigs to garnish
- Parmesan shavings to garnish
Puntaletti, also called orzo or misko, is tiny pasta, similar in shape to rice grains.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4. Spread the lamb and onions in a large casserole or small roasting tin. Sprinkle with the lemon juice, oregano, cumin, coriander and seasoning; mix well. Drizzle over the oil and roast, uncovered, for 1 hour.
2. Mix together the tomato puree and boiling water until the puree is dissolved. Pour over the lamb and return to the the oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle over the puntaletti, cover with a tightfitting lid or double-thickness foil and cook for 25-30 minutes until the puntaletti is tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
3. Serve hot from the dish garnished with oregano sprigs and parmesan shavings.