- 25g/1oz fresh or slightly stale breadcrumbs
- 340g/12oz minced pork or lamb
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp kecap manis or substitute with dark soy sauce and a pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g/14oz cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 100g/31/2 oz goatâ€™s cheese, diced
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas6. Soak breadcrumbs in milk for 10 minutes; squeeze dry. Mix with the pork, herbs, kecap manis, salt and pepper. Roll into walnut sized balls.
2. Heat enough oil to cover the base of a heavy frying pan. Fry the balls over a medium heat until cooked. Drain on kitchen paper.
3. To make the tomato sauce, gently fry the onion and garlic in olive oil. Add all remaining ingredients, except the basil and cheese, and cook until reduced to a very thick sauce. Stir in basil.
4. Place meatballs in a shallow serving dish, spoon over the sauce and scatter with goatâ€™s cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until sizzling. Serve with hot bread and salad.