- 1350g/3lbs onions
- Coarse salt
- 3 large tbsp beef dripping
- 4-5 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 4 pints stock
- Tomato puree
- Fresh parmesan to serve
1. Slice onions and place in a pan with coarse salt and beef dripping. Cook in low oven for about 2 hours.
2. Add plain flour and boiling stock until pan is full again, about 4 pints of stock. Put back in oven and cook until creamy.
3. Remove from oven and liquidise. Add some tomato puree and a small quantity of pesto.
4. Serve with freshly grated parmesan. Flavour improves with maturity.