- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds, crushed (optional)
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 425ml/3/4 pint water
- 450g/1lb fresh spinach, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- large handful fresh coriander, chopped
- small handful chopped mint, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
5 oz red split lentils
1. Heat the oil then slowly fry the onions and garlic until golden. Add the chillies and spices then cook for a minute more.
2. Stir in the lentils, tomatoes and water then cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture from sticking.
3. Taste to see if the lentils are tender then add the chopped spinach, coriander, mint and seasoning. Simmer for 5-10 more.
4. Serve with rice and chutney.