- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, coredd, seeded and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 300g/10oz long grain rice
- 1 litre/13/4 pints chicken or vegetable stock
- Can of chopped tomatoes
- 100g/4oz mature cheddar, cubed
- Chives and salad leaves to garnish
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 â€“ 50 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180c/Gas 4/fan oven cook from cold at 160c. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole, then cook the onion and red pepper over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until soft and golden. Add the chopped garlic and cook for a further minute.
2. Stir in the rice until completely coated in oil, then add the stock and tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Scatter over the cheese, cover the casserole and cook in the oven for about 30 minutes until the rice is tender. Leave for 5 minutes before garnishing with chives and salad.