- 1 small aubergine
- 450g/1lb minced lean pork
- 1 level tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 level tsp chilli flakes, or to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 level tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tbsp red wine
- Oregano leaves to garnish
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus cooling
Cooking time: 50 minutes
1. Pierce a whole unpeeled aubergine in several places and bake at 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 40 minutes or until itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s soft. Allow to cool. Remove the stalk, strip off the skin and chop the flesh.
2. Put the aubergine and remaining ingredients into a large bowl, season with salt and pepper and mix together, using your hands, until thoroughly combined.
3. With wet hands, roll the mixture into balls. Line a grill pan with foil, shiny side up, and oil lightly. Cook the meatballs under a preheated grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve with a tomato sauce and noodles and garnished with oregano.