This recipe was one of my Dad’s favourites!
- 5 lambs kidneys
- 2 onions chopped
- 50g/2oz butter
- 112g/1/4lb button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 dessertspoon plain flour
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 71/2 fl oz brown stock
- 1 bayleaf
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices of stale bread
- parsley, chopped
1. Blanch the onions and drain. skin kidneys, cut in half lengthways and core.
2. Heat a saute or deep frying pan, drop in the butter and, when it is foaming, put in the kidneys and saute briskly until evenly browned.
3. Lift out kidneys and put in chipolata sausages, lower the heat and cook until brown on all sides. Take them out, add the mushrooms, shake over a brisk heat for 2-3 minutes, then draw pan aside.
4. Stir in the flour, tomato puree, sherry and stock and bring to the boil; add the bayleaf and season. Slice sausages and kidneys and put in the pan. Cover and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
5. Make some Yorkshire Pudding cases in which to serve although Classically Kidney Turbigo is served with bread croutes.