It’s the idea, not the content of the sandwich. I saw this in the Rocket Cafe in Morningside and it really works well. After toasting only two slices of bread, they have cut one of the slices as if they were making melba toast, then used each thin slice in the sandwich. Look again at the picture. A great idea!
Whole packet of spagetti, about 500g
150ml of double cream
3 medium eggs
50ml of milk
250g chopped smoked bacon
150g freshly grated parmesan
1. Fry bacon in a splash of oil and set aside.
2. Whip eggs, cream and milk together then add half your parmesan and season with black pepper.
3. Boil spagetti for about 10 minutes until al dente.
4. Turn off heat and drain pasta saving half a cup of pasta water.
5. Return pasta to hot pan and quickly add the bacon, parmesan and egg mixture.
6. Add some of the pasta water if dish is a little thick.
7. Serve with even more freshly grated parmesan and pepper.
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch flaked red chilli
- 8oz mushrooms quartered
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 1 tsp clear honey
Fry the onion in the oil until softened. Add the cinnamon chilli and cumin and stir in. Add the mushrooms ,stir then add the tomatoes ,chickpeas ,and honey. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for ten minutes.
I like to serve this with couscous soaked along with some chopped dried apricots then roast pinenuts and chopped parsley added before serving
- FOR FOUR
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1lb chicken thigh skinless diced
- 1 large leek sliced
- 4oz button mushrooms halved
- 2oz pancetta lardons
- 300ml carbonara sauce from chill cabinet or in a jar
- 2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- chopped parsley
Heat half olive oil in a large frypan and fry chicken until browned.Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
Add the leek and mushrooms to the frypan and fry till soft. Add to dish. Fry pancetta in pan till cooked and add to dish.
Spread the sauce over the chicken. Mix breadcrumbs.parsley and the other tablespoon of olive oil. Scatter over chicken
Bake at 170 fan oven till golden and bubbling about 30 mins
- Basically I make this by putting a layer of bolognese sauce in a shallow dish. Cover with a layer of macaroni cheese. Cover this with a layer of grated cheese. This can then be kept until ready to serve when you put it into the oven at about 170 until hot and bubbling. This also freezes well although I always thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
As you can imagine this can be made any size from 2 portions to 20 depending on occasion so is very good for a big crowd